Normal vital signs for an adult horse include:
- Temperature: 99.5-101.5ºF
- Pulse Rate: 30-42 beats per minute
- Respiration Rate: 12-20 breaths per minute
- Capillary Refill Time: < 2 seconds
- Mucous Membranes: Pale pink
The doctors of Saginaw Valley Equine Clinic recommend that horse owner’s become familiar with the normal parameters of their horse and learn how to properly check vital signs. Feel free to ask one of our veterinarians to show you how to properly take your horse’s temperature, pulse and respiration, as well as check capillary refill time and mucous membrane color. In the event of an illness or emergency, this information will enable you to give your veterinarian a more complete medical history and profile.